UA study, training keeps MRSA from firefighting communities

June 22, 2010

By hammersmith

[Source: UA News] – A mark that looked like a spider bite on a Tucson firefighter’s foot has turned into a nationwide public health call to action.

The mark and a series of other rashes on local firefighters were identified as Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, commonly known as MRSA – a potentially deadly infection caused by a strain of staph bacteria that can become resistant to antibiotics.

A University of Arizona study found high levels of MRSA bacteria on couches, class desks and commonly touched surfaces in Tucson Fire Department offices. Prompted by these results, firefighters now are taking strict prevention measures, and UA researchers have developed an online training program to help firefighters across the country recognize and prevent MRSA infections.

For more information: UA Study, Training Keeps MRSA from Firefighting Communities