[Source: Konstantinos Kalaitzidis, Tucson Citizen] — High school students in Pima County will be able to sign up for more than math, English, and biology this school year. How about cosmetology, aircraft mechanics, nursing services or culinary arts It’s all part of the Joint Technological Education District program. While this program is nothing new in other parts of the state, it’s new in Pima County and is expected to attract 17,000 students.
The program was adopted after voters approved Proposition 400 in November. Through state funds, JTED will finance new and existing career and technical education programs throughout Pima County, said Alan Storm, JTED’s superintendent. With more high school students looking at career paths early on, they would be less likely to drop out of school if classes include teaching skills tied directly to their careers and futures.
JTED officials recently signed agreements with all 11 school districts in Pima County and with Pima Community College to provide for the career and technical education of high school students, Storm said. JTED classes are electives and are taken either at the student’s home school for up to half a day or at another school or district after school. [Note: To read the full article, click here.]
Available bioscience/healthcare related courses:
- Agricultural Business Management/Agriscience ~ Amphitheater, Cienega, Desert View, Santa Rita, Sunnyside
- Allied Health Services ~ Amphitheater, Sahuarita, Sunnyside
- Biomedical Health Technologies/Research Assistant ~ Palo Verde, Pueblo, Tucson
- Diagnostic & Intervention Technology/Emergency Medical Paramedics ~ Catalina
- Education Professions ~ Catalina, Cholla, Ironwood Ridge, Sunnyside
- Engineering Sciences ~ Palo Verde, Rincon, Tucson (Mechanical)
- Information Technology ~ Amphitheater, Canyon del Oro, Ironwood Ridge
- Nursing Services/Health Care Technician/Patient Care Technician ~ Catalina, Ironwood Ridge, Sunnyside
- Pharmacy Technician/Allied Health Services ~ Catalina
- Radiology Medical Imaging/Allied Health Services ~ Catalina